Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Complacency = Death

I had a conversation with my mom about self-motivation yesterday. I was telling her how I've wanted to start working out again and get back into some sense of shape, but have lacked the motivation. While waiting for students to show up for summer school today I thought about lack of vision and complacency. I realized that my lack of motivation was really my being complacent. I know I wasn't content with my weight & body shape, so why wasn't I motivated to work-out? Lack of vision! I couldn't see 2 weeks down the road when riding the elliptical would get easier or 2 months later when I'd start to see some definition in my arms and notice that my clothes were fitting looser. Once I started seeing those things, I realized that I could work-out every morning and right now I'm motivated to do so. Lord help me keep my motivation!

We need vision in our lives. Why work to graduate high school if you don't see yourself going on to college? Just drop out at 16. Why graduate from college if you don't see yourself moving onto a career and impacting the world in someway? Just quit high school at 16. Why read your Bible, pray, tell people about Jesus, take the time to disciple someone if you aren't anxiously waiting for Him to come back and call us home to glory? Quit doing all these things and let yourself and countless others die and go to Hell. This last one sounds extreme doesn't it? In my opinion no more so than the first two. While the first 2 seem a little far-fetched, when you think about it, that's what lack of vision does. When we allow ourselves to get complacent we lose vision. When we lose vision we quit moving forward. We stand still and stagnate. When something becomes stagnant (like water) it can become poisonous and we all know what poisonous things do to us. They = death. Are you moving forward?

No comments: