Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Potty Training

So we're in the process of potty training our youngest son, who's 3 1/2. For most people they don't really stress or try to push their kids in the area of being diaper free, but I'm under a time crunch. David is supposed to start preschool on Aug. 11. This means that he has to be potty trained by then. I firmly believe that David knows when he has to pee, he just doesn't want to tell anyone that he needs to. I know for a fact he knows when he has to poo because he goes and hides in his room and goes in his pull-up and then comes and tells you he went and that he needs to be changed. For some people this brings the mindset, "Don't put him pull-ups anymore and let him feel how disgusting it is to have all that against his bare skin." I agree with the idea, and would do it since we have hardwood floors upstairs, the only problem with that is I teach summer school two days a week and I know consistency is what is needed to help him get through this.
With all that being said, I am encouraged because for the last two days David has only peed in his pull-up once! Not only has he been using the toilet, but he's been using it standing up, and he's even told me when he had to go. The best (and worst if I'm honest) was at 10:30 last night when he so sweetly yelled, "MOMMY I GOTTA PEE-PEE!!" Great that he needs to right? Well, it'll scare the fire outta anyone if he does it at 3 am. Today was great because it was a school day, and David went potty all day at school. I'm blessed to be able to have on-site childcare during school, so I am able to track his progress and hear straight from him that he went. Hopefully the promise of Incredible Hulk and Power Ranger underwear along with being able to go Ms. Jacque's class in the fall, and tons of positive reinforcements will keep him plugging along like he his.

No comments: