Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Remembering

Today all across the country people are drinking, pinching, using horrible Irish brogues, and so many other things in homage to St. Patrick's Day. Me? I'll have on a green and white polo, I'll do a devotion on the legend of St. Patrick, and I'll whisper a happy birthday.

You see, 7 years ago today our twin daughters, Chloe Suzanne and Alexis Pearl were delivered. They were still-born at 37 weeks, a thought that is still mind-boggling. I won't go into gory details, suffice it to say, my body was shutting down and I was dying so my body fought against "the foreign invaders" that were causing the problems. To say my family was devastated wouldn't do justice to our actual feelings. 37 weeks of expectancy, for me a dream coming true, so many things crashed down on us and it was hard.

I praise God that He healed my body and promised us our precious David. Without the Lord, I never would have made it through my recovery or the subsequent year Carlo spent in Iraq. His grace and mercy are good. My memories of the labor and delivery process are very fuzzy. I remember all the wonderful people from the church who were in the hospital with us, I remember the the girls being born, but I don't have any clear memories, until the nurses brought my precious babies over for me to see and hold. They were gorgeous!! The were feminine versions of their big brother, Tony. They had heads full of black hair I'm sure would curl. Both had their bottom lips sucked in and looked so peaceful.

It took me a couple of years to care about St. Patrick's Day again, but I have slowly started caring about wearing green again and making a nod to my Irish roots. I still whisper a happy birthday to my baby girls though and look forward with anticipation to the day we'll all be reunited.

No comments: